The Professional Series in Wind Energy Siting and Analysis provides wind energy development practitioners and those wishing to enter the field with the skills to measure the wind, interpret the results, and provide accurate estimates of wind energy potential.
Course objectives for each course are:
- Installing Wind Data Meteorological Towers : Objective is to provide classroom instruction on safe methods for installing met towers; to be matched with a subsequent onsite tower installation course offered each summer at UMass.
- Wind Data Instrumentation, Data Collection, and Reporting: Objective is to train individuals on the installation of wind sensors, wiring, and data-logging on met towers, plus operation of loggers and associated desktop software.
- Wind Data Quality Assurance Methods and Long Term Extrapolation: Objective is to train individuals on proper quality control review of wind energy data, plus synthesis for estimating the long term potential of the site based on the data.
- Wind Data Collection Using Remote Data Collection: LIDAR and SODAR: Objective is to train individuals on the use of new SODAR and LIDAR equipment for measuring wind at prospective sites.
- Wind Site Selection and Performance Estimation Processes: Objective is to train individuals on using maps, software, and on the process of “fatal flaw” and “measure-correlate-predict” analyses to assess the energy production potential of a site.
Program Link: http://www.umassonline.net/programs/certificate-programs
- Institution Name: UMass Amherst - Continuing and Professional Education
- Department: UMassOnline
- Address: 100 Venture Way, Hadley, MA 01035
- Website: http://www.umassulearn.net
- Name: Jody Lally
- Title: Professor
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 413-545-2414